Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I'm not dead

Wow, it's been almost 2 months since I have last posted. Well, no worries, you haven't missed anything. I'm making progress with the CI, albeit very, very slowly. I think I may have underestimated the pacing of this adventure. The first month or so were filled with surprising revelations about my new hearing. As noted in earlier entries of the blog, I was picking up new sounds left and right -- some clear, some not -- and the power and sophistication of the device was instantaneously recognized.

After my last post, things have cooled down considerably. I'm not going backwards, but more like going uphill. The incline is higher, so to speak. The path to better hearing is getting harder and harder to climb, and for a while, I was beginning to resist the effort. Maybe I was resisting because I didn't expect it to be so challenging; I didn't realize that I needed to make this many sacrifices to get where I need to go.

See, in order for me to hear voices more clearly, I need to hear less. Sounds contradictory, I know. My hearing aid allows me to communicate with others more than the CI. Voices are clear with the HA. Not so much with the CI. In order to hear voices better with the CI, I need to take away the HA, to lean on that CI so that it's being used. My brain needs to figure it out. Like a puzzle, you need to work at it until it all finally makes sense. Puzzle pieces don't fall into place automatically. Once voices make sense to me with the CI alone, I can go back to using the HA and the two can work together to create better hearing.

The CI device itself is primed for optimal hearing. My mappings are occuring less frequently because my brain needs to begin to picking up the slack. It's ideal to get mapped every 3 to 4 months at this stage, and eventually, it becomes an annual visit. My brain will continue to adjust to new sounds so mappings are always very much relevant to a CI user.

I had a 3 month evaluation last week. I will post the results once I get the paperwork, but I am definitely progressing. It doesn't seem like it, but I'm actually hearing more now than I was pre-CI. The actual numbers will be interesting to see.

For now, it's time to roll up my sleeves and take the hits. We've still got a ways to go.

5 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

David,

I want to tell you how very much I enjoy reading your posts--you're an amazing fellow, in addition to being a wonderful and talented writer. All I can say is, "Keep on truckin' and keep on blogging." That mountain is steep and high, but you're a fighter and the peak will get closer and closer. Love, Cousin Jo-Jo

acmomma said...

I love you and I know you and you will do fine. Take off the kid gloves and start fighting :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading about your progress. Keep up the work, it will pay off! The other day I was watching News 12 New Jersey and there was a 99 year old woman who was the oldest recipient of a CI. They showed her with her family when they turned on the implant for the 1st time and she could hear noises that she had not heard in a very long time. It was very touching.

acmomma said...

fyi David,the anonymous person above is your Aunt Lisa :)

Dave said...

Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words -- greatly appreciated. :-)